At its last meeting for the 2016-17 School Year, the Arlington School Board approved the Superintendent’s recommendation to provide 1,300 additional high school seats, to include renovation of the Education Center building to provide 500-600+ seats, and adding to the Career Center to provide 700-800+ seats (to be known as Career Center Phase 2). (More)
OTHER ACTION ITEMS:
The Board also approved the 3rd Quarter Fiscal Report and the renewal of the Superintendent’s contract (More).
In addition, the Board approved revisions to several School Board Policies (SBP), including:
- SBP 10-6.5 Student Advisory Board;
- SBP 25-3.11 Threat Assessment Team;
- SBP 25-1.18 Home Instruction;
- SBP 30-2.2 Boundaries;
- Select School Board Polices: 10-13 Human Relations; 25-1.15 Student Equal Education Opportunities/Nondiscrimination; and 35-4.4 Employee Relations – Equal Employment Opportunity;
- SBP 25-3 Support for Students – Wellness; and
- SBP 25-4.3 Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973
The revisions for these School Board policies are available on BoardDocs.
APPOINTMENTS: The School Board approved the following appointments:
- Breonna McClain was named Ashlawn Elementary School Principal (More)
- Eileen Delaney was appointed Principal of Carlin Springs Elementary School (More)
- Jasneen Sahni was appointed as a .5 assistant principal at Wakefield High School
- Lisa Moore was named an assistant principal at Washington-Lee High School
- Kristin Devaney was appointed as a .4 director of counseling
- Jeannette Allen was appointed as Director of Administrative Services
- OPEB Transfer – authorization to transfer funds to the Arlington County School Board Retiree Welfare Benefit Trust (OPEB Trust)
- Tie Back and Access Agreement with Penzance for New School at Wilson Site – which is required in connection with the development of the Wilson site.
- Tie Back and Access Agreement with 7-Eleven for New School at Wilson Site – which is also required in connection with the development of the Wilson site.
- Construction Easement with APAH for New School at Wilson Site – which are required to construct improvements to 18th Street North necessary for the development of the Wilson site.
- Parking License Agreement for the New Elementary at Jefferson Project – which is needed because construction of the new Alice West Fleet Elementary School will occur on the existing TJMS staff parking lot.
More information on these items is available on BoardDocs.
The School Board recognized five Jefferson Middle School students who placed second in the statewide SchoolsNEXT Design Competition for their design of a healthy, high performing, safe and sustainable school building. In addition, each student placed first in individual categories. The annual competition is open to middle school students.
FOR MORE INFORMATION:
Citizens who want to comment on any of the items discussed at the School Board meeting should email the Board at email@example.com or call 703-228-6015. Citizens may call 703-228-2400 on the Monday after the School Board meetings to listen to a meeting summary. School Board meetings are also broadcast live on Comcast Cable Channel 70 and Verizon FiOS Channel 41; live-streamed on the APS website, and re-broadcast on Fridays at 9 p.m. and Mondays at 7:30 p.m. immediately following the meeting. All materials and minutes of the meeting will be posted to the website at aps2016.apsva.us/schoolboard upon School Board approval at a subsequent meeting.