Superintendent Presents Return-to-School Highlights
The School Board approved a recommendation to name the New Elementary School at the Key site Innovation Elementary School at its March 11 School Board meeting. This was the first in-person School Board meeting held this school year, with strictly limited attendance.
The naming committee—chaired by Principal Claire Peters and comprised of parents, students, community members and staff—presented two options the Board: Innovation Elementary School and Gateway Elementary School. The full presentation is available online.
The following updates were presented to the Board.
- School Year 2020-21 Monitoring Report – The Superintendent provided an update to the School Board that included highlights of students returning to the classroom over the last two weeks; health metrics; an update on the Secondary 2nd Quarter Grades Report, transportation, meal services, and air quality. The full report is available online or you can watch it here.
- FY 2021 Mid-Year Fiscal Monitoring Report – Staff provided a summary of revenue and expenditures to date; COVID relief payments and expenditures and provided a recommendation on closeout funds. Read more here.
- English Learners Update – The Board was provided an update that included highlights, data, lessons learned and bright spots. The full report is available on BoardDocs.
The School Board appointed Marcus Gregory as the new Assistant Superintendent for Facilities and Operations. His appointment begins May 1.
The School Board approved the following items:
- Personnel Items
- The Heights FY 2022 CIP Estimated Funding
More information about these items is available on BoardDocs.
The School Board discussed the following items.
- Memorandum of Agreement with Arlington County for Underground Stormwater Management Facility at Reed Site – The MOA is an agreement between the County and APS related to the design, construction, construction administration, operation, maintenance and cost responsibility for all such activities for an underground storm water management facility and above ground improvements all as a part of construction of the new Walter Reed Elementary School. Additional details are available online.
- New Elementary School at Reed Project Changes Due to Phase 2 Stormwater Improvements – Staff is recommending that the Board approve a change order of $357,213 to VDMO Architects to complete the design for Phase 2 of the stormwater improvements. The full presentation is available on BoardDocs.
The School Board watched several student performances in celebration of March is Arts in the Schools Month. The Board also recognized APS Social Workers and their vital role during the pandemic in honor of School Social Work Week. Learn more about social workers online.
For More Information:
Citizens who want to comment on any items discussed at the School Board meeting should email the Board at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 703-228-6015. Citizens may call 703-228-2400 on the Monday after the School Board meetings to listen to a meeting summary.
For more information on how to participate in School Board meetings in person, visit our website.
School Board meetings are also broadcast live on Comcast Cable Channel 70 and Verizon FiOS Channel 41; live-streamed on the APS website, and re-broadcast on Fridays at 9 p.m. and Mondays at 7:30 p.m. immediately following the meeting. All materials and minutes will be posted to the website at aps2016.apsva.us/schoolboard upon School Board approval at a subsequent meeting.