Ways to promote your child’s literacy development every day:
Ways to talk about books that promote critical and creative thinking and literacy development:
- Look at the cover and discuss what the book might be about.
- Talk with your child about the kinds of books they enjoy reading the most and why.
- Compare and contrast the setting and characters between two books.
- Discuss how the illustrations supported the ideas in the book.
- Stop and chat about interesting and important facts or ideas when you are reading with them.
- Ask your child if a book reminded them of something they have done or seen or read.
- Consider if the story could really happen. Explore with them why or why not.
- Invite your child to share something they learned after reading.
- Have your child share their favorite part of the book.
- Discuss why the author wrote the book.
- Ask if this book would make a good movie, who would be the best actors to play the characters, and why.
- Explore other ways the story might have ended.
- Ask your child who else they think might enjoy this book.
- Inquire about what your child would like to read next!