Social Media Apps
There are a number of Apps on the market that can help make your social media posts more engaging and interesting for the end-user. Here are a few that SCR uses on a daily basis. We encourage you to experiment with these and others. If you come across one that we aren’t using, please share it with the group.
- Flipagram – Storybook App for Instagram
- Storify – Hashtag Compiler (Firefox)
- Hyperlapse – Time-lapse Video App
- PicsArt – Collage App for Instagram and Twitter
- Periscope – Live Streaming App for Twitter
- Facebook Live – Live Streaming on Facebook
APS Twitter Chats – Launched by APS teachers, #APSChats are for all teachers. Sessions are held Tuesday evenings from 8-9 p.m. and center around our successes, challenges and collaboration efforts. #APSChats is always looking for APS educators to moderate future chats. If you would be interested in moderating a future chat or have any specific topics/questions you would like to suggest, contact Julia Burgos at email@example.com.
How to Use Periscop and InstagramPeriscope: Periscope is designed for broadcasting live video and connecting it to your followers on Twitter. Keep your broadcast to two minutes or less. Provide narration throughout your broadcast. Interact with the live chat feature by responding to questions and comments. Make sure you tweet your broadcast link by selecting the Twitter icon before going live. Experiment. Not everything will work on Periscope and that is okay.Instagram: Instagram is best used for posting pictures or video with minimal text. When posting a video, keep it to 15 seconds or less. Post less frequently. Posting as often as you would with Twitter will drive followers away. Don’t use a lot of text. Use short sentences and hashtags. Helpful Links
- 20 Essential Twitter Rules You’ve Probably Never Heard – A “Code of Conduct” for Twitter.
- The Ultimate Guide To Using Twitter In Education – 50 Basic steps for using Twitter in education.
- Mr. Kemp: 10 Steps to Creating the Perfect Educational Twitter Account – How to create a Twitter account that you can use as a Professional Learning Network.
- CybraryMan’s Educational Hashtags – A helpful list of educational hashtags.
- May the Tweets Be Ever in Your Favor: One teacher’s experience with Twitter as a professional resource – Hoffman-Boston’s Molly Patrician wrote this fascinating article on using Twitter as a professional resource.
- TechTips – aps2016.apsva.us/techtips – Follow @digitalAPS on Twitter to get regular updates on digital learning tips and ideas that are being implemented throughout APS. Share your tips using #digitalAPS.
- How to Effectively Use Visual Storytelling – One of the greatest ways to convert a user is to use visual storytelling.
- 9 Things Teenagers Can Teach You About Instagram – Tips on taking and posting more engaging pictures.