Aug. 19, 2016 — At last night’s School Board meeting, staff presented an update on academic performance at APS. Dr. Tara Nattrass, Assistant Superintendent of Instruction, provided a summary of the recent data on student performance on the 2016 Standards of Learning (SOL) test results in reading, math, science and social studies. Based on preliminary data, all schools will again be fully accredited this year. She highlighted trends in the data and focused on areas of opportunity for improving student success. The Department of Instruction will continue to prioritize strategies to close gaps in academic success as staff continues to dig deeper into the data by school, grade level, and groups of students.
- Authority to Negotiate Lease: The School Board granted the Superintendent authority to negotiate a lease for additional space at Sequoia, where the Syphax Education Center is located.
- New Athletic Co-Curricular Activities:The School Board approved the addition of Ultimate as a new athletic co-curricular activity.
Revision of Select School Board Finance Policies: Staff presented proposed changes to the following financial management policies.
- 40-1.01 General
- 40-1.02 Revenue Sharing
- 40-1.03 Additional County Revenue
- 40-1.04 Budget Savings
- 40-1.05 Reserve Funds
- 40-1.06 Budget Direction
- 40-1.07 Budget Development
- 40-2.1 Extended Day
More information is available in BoardDocs.
Revision of School Board Policy 10-6.6 School Plan Advisory Committees: Staff recommended changes to the policy 10-6.6. The recommended changes are available online.
APPOINTMENTS:The Board made several appointments during adoption of the Consent Agenda, and with the exception of the Supervisor of Personalized Learning, these appointments are all effective immediately.
- Donna Snyder was appointed principal at Randolph Elementary School. She has served as the APS director of early childhood and elementary education for the past four years.
- Heather Hurley was named supervisor of personalized learning instruction. She previously served as assistant principal at Jamestown Elementary School. Her appointment will be effective September 1.
- Angie Close moves from special education coordinator to assistant principal at Kenmore.
- Christine Joy, who is a teacher at Swanson Middle School, was named interim assistant principal at Kenmore Middle School.
- Michelle McCarthy moves from assistant principal at Carlin Springs Elementary School to assistant principal at Williamsburg Middle School.
- Bryan Boykin was appointed assistant principal at Carlin Springs Elementary School. He is currently an assistant principal at Williamsburg Middle School.
- Monica Roaché was appointed assistant principal at Jamestown Elementary School. She is currently an assistant principal at Gunston Middle School.
- Louis Villafane was named director of counseling at Kenmore Middle School where he is currently a counselor.
For More Information
Citizens who want to comment on any of the items discussed at the School Board meeting should email the Board at email@example.com or call 703-228-6015. Citizens may call 703-228-2400 on the Monday after the School Board meetings to listen to a meeting summary. School Board meetings are also broadcast live on Comcast Cable Channel 70 and Verizon FiOS Channel 41; live-streamed on the APS website, and re-broadcast on Fridays at 9 p.m. and Mondays at 7:30 p.m. immediately following the meeting. All materials and minutes of the meeting will be posted to the website at aps2016.apsva.us/schoolboard upon School Board approval at a subsequent meeting.