All APS Schools Accredited for Fourth Year in a Row
The School Board discussed academic performance, including accreditation and federal accountability, as well as data trends related to the Standards of Learning (SOLs) pass rates at last night’s meeting. Staff provided an update that included state and federal accountability highlights as well as SOL results in reading, math, science and social studies. Key takeaways include:
- All APS schools are accredited for the fourth year in a row
- As English Learners acquire English, they demonstrate achievement at levels comparable to their native English speaking peers
- Staff will continue to focus on improving teaching and learning experiences for students with disabilities
- Specially Designed Instruction
- Student Support Visioning (ATSS, Student Study, IEPs, and 504s)
- Instructional staff will continue to focus on the elements of the APS Teaching & Learning Framework
The full presentation is available online.
ACTION ITEMS:The School Board approved the following items. To learn more, visit BoardDocs.
- Revisions to School Board Policy G-3.2.4 Leave and School Board Policy G-184.108.40.206 Other Benefits
- Revisions to School Board Policy J-8.7 Safety of Students and Child Abuse and Neglect – Child Protective Services – Changes ensure that APS is in alignment with Virginia Code.
- Revisions to School Board Policy A-4 Mission, Vision and Core Values and School Board Policy A-5 Arlington Public Schools Priorities – The changes reflect the adoption of the 2018-24 Strategic Plan.
- Revision to School Board Policy J-5.3.30 Admission and Placement – The suggested recommendations include adding a section on children of active duty military personnel as well as children of families with special circumstances.
- Contract Award for Pre-Construction Construction Management at-Risk Services for the Education Center Renovation – Staff is recommending that the Board approve contract award for Phase I: Pre-Construction Services in the amount of $257,000 to MCN Build, Inc. Staff is also asking that the Board authorize staff to utilize $4 million of the available bond funds identified in the FY 2017-26 CIP as “Secondary Seats TBD” for pre-construction phase expenses until future bond funds are available following the 2018 referendum.
- Contract Award for Kenmore HVAC Controls – Staff recommends awarding a contract up to $600,000 to Automated Logic.
- Change to the Guaranteed Maximum Price for the New School at Wilson with No Change to Total Budget or Completion Date – Staff presented an update and revised budget for the Wilson project and requested Board approval to allocate $750,000 from the Construction Management Reserve and approximately $1.25 million from the Owner Contingency funds which are part of the overall Wilson project budget. This is a normal occurrence in all construction projects, and Board approval is required to allocate the budget reserves and contingency funding whenever funds are needed to offset market changes for construction materials or to fund other steps to address site conditions or developments that normally arise during a two-year project. This request is solely for approval of previously budgeted reserves and project contingency funds, and the total budget and completion date for the new school at Wilson remains unchanged.
More information on these information items is available on BoardDocs.
NEXT SCHOOL BOARD MEETING:
The School Board will hold its next Regular Meeting (2110 Washington Blvd.) on Thursday, Sept. 6 at 7 p.m. The agenda will be posted one week before the meeting on BoardDocs.
FOR MORE INFORMATION:
Citizens who want to comment on any items discussed at the School Board meeting should email the Board at email@example.com or call 703-228-6015. Citizens may call 703-228-2400 on the Monday after the School Board meetings to listen to a meeting summary. School Board meetings are also broadcast live on Comcast Cable Channel 70 and Verizon FiOS Channel 41; live-streamed on the APS website, and re-broadcast on Fridays at 9 p.m. and Mondays at 7:30 p.m. immediately following the meeting. All materials and minutes will be posted to the website at aps2016.apsva.us/schoolboard upon School Board approval at a subsequent meeting.