Good afternoon! There are a number of events taking place this week that may be of interest to our community. Tomorrow evening the Arlington Special Education Advisory Committee (ASEAC) will hold its monthly meeting at 7pm. Wednesday night the Parent Resource Center will co-sponsor the NOVA VISION Conference at 6:30pm, and on Thursday, the Parent Resource Center will offer a session on Individualized Education Programs (IEPs) in person in the morning, and via Zoom in the evening. Finally, Friday is the last opportunity during this school year to participate in Youth Mental Health First Aid. Please see additional details in our Events section below.
Arlington SEPTA 2023 Awards in Excellence in Special Education
Last week, the Parent Resource Center was delighted to join Arlington SEPTA and many APS leaders in celebrating students, parents, staff, teachers, administrators and volunteers who positively impact the experiences and outcomes for students with disabilities in our community. It was a wonderful evening, and we commend Arlington SEPTA for acknowledging, honoring and celebrating the work of all of the 2023 nominees.
Congratulations to this year’s award winners:
- Exceptional Ally Award • Outstanding Student Ally: Hannah Allard, Williamsburg Middle School
- Annie Turner Award • Outstanding Administrator: David McBride, Kenmore Middle School
- Eileen K. Crawford Award • Outstanding Educator: Amy Flynn, Williamsburg Middle School
- Antuon Townsend Award • Outstanding Aide/Assistant or Support Staff: Rita Amponsah, Randolph Elementary
- Isabella Nannini Award • Outstanding Student Advocate: Ellie McGinn, Wakefield High School
- Mary C. McBride Award • Outstanding School or Program: Multi-Intervention Program for Students with Autism (MIP-A) and Best Buddies, Kenmore Middle School
- Howie Callem Award • Outstanding Parent or Volunteer: Gina Argotti, APS Parent Leader
Although we know many families have already scheduled summer camps, for those still considering summer options, the Virginia Family Special Education Connection has updated and posted the camp resources below:
- Camp List for Children and Adults with Disabilities 5.2023
Websites to Search for Camps:
- American Camp Association’s Camp Finder – Lists camps accredited by ACA. The advanced search function allows you to search by disability, distance from home, inclusive camps, and other variables.
- VerySpecialCamps – Summer Camps & Programs for Individuals with Special Needs
- MySummerCamps (general finder) – Find the Perfect Summer Camp for Your Child!
Summer Camp Articles:
- KidsHealth Camp Information: The benefits of camp, different types, how to search, questions to ask staff, etc.
- Learning Disabilities Online Camp article: Article by Ann Cathcart, the director and founder of The Learning Camp and the parent of a child with a learning disability, tells you how to evaluate summer camps and select one that is right for your child.
The original information was provided by Camping for All, 2020. Updated May 2023
Please visit our Events page at aps2016.apsva.us/prc-events