Friday Five for March 4, 2022
Arlington elementary students celebrated Read Across America Day this week. Schools from around the division celebrated by reading books, participating in fun activities and hosting special guest readers. Superintendent Dr. Francisco Durán made a surprise visit to Innovation Elementary School to be a guest reader. Check out more coverage on social media using #ArlingtonReads.
March is Women’s History Month and APS is celebrating by recognizing several outstanding women-owned businesses in our community. Throughout the month we celebrate the contributions of women to history, culture and society and highlight those who make a difference in the Arlington community. Join us on social media using #APSWomensHistory. We also encourage families to play along with our weekly “Tuesday Women’s Trivia” on our social media platforms. For a special bonus question, click here.
Next week, APS is celebrating its social workers for their hard work and dedication to ensuring student success. The theme for National School Social Work Week 2022 is “Time to Shine.” School Social Workers shine brightly for their students, families, and school communities. Watch this video to see how social workers support our students.
The 2022 Your Voice Matters (YVM) survey of students and staff opens on Mon, March 7, and the family survey opens Mon, March 14. APS and the Arlington Partnership for Children, Youth, and Families (APCYF) conduct the Your Voice Matters survey every two years to provide a snapshot of APS students, school climate and engagement. Look for an email from our survey partner, Panorama Education, with a personalized link to the survey. Responses are confidential and used to support student success and strengthen partnerships between families and schools. For additional information, please visit the 2022 Your Voice Matters Survey webpage.
5. Scholastic Arts Awards Ceremony and High School Gold ExhibitArts Education will host the Scholastic Art & Writing Awards Ceremony honoring student artists who received regional recognition for their artwork at Kenmore Middle School on Mon, March 7 at 6:30 p.m. Arts Education is also hosting theHigh School Gold Exhibit at the Syphax Education Center through March 25. This year, there were close to 1,500 pieces of artwork submitted. The work was judged digitally, and the judges awarded over 1,000 pieces of work. All Gold awards were sent to New York City for national judging and results are expected later this month. View the online gallery of Awarded Scholastic Artwork.
Other News & Notes
- Sign up for free COVID testing
- March is Arts in the Schools Month! – View the calendar to learn more about March student performances and events!
- School Board Member Mary Kadera to Host Virtual Open Office Hours on Mon, March 7
- Know someone who needs help registering their child for preschool? Have them visit one of our Pre-K Registration Nights