Arlington Public Schools ranked second best school division in Virginia in the 2022 Best Schools Report by Niche, a company specializing in K-12 school analysis and ranking. Arlington earned high marks for great schools, teachers, academics, health and safety, diversity and other categories. Niche also rated APS the number one place to teach and the second safest school district in Virginia. To learn more about Niche and read the full APS report card, visit our website.
Congratulations to Swanson eighth grader Henry Stievater and his teacher, Courtney Seavolt! Henry has been named one of the Top 300 MASTERS in the 2021 Broadcom MASTERS®, the premier Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) competition for middle school students. The program seeks to inspire young scientists, engineers and innovators to solve the grand challenges of the 21st century. The Top 300 MASTERS were selected from 1,841 students from 48 states, Washington, DC and three US territories.
There are several ways to contact APS for help with your questions or to provide input. Who to call and how to engage depends on what you need.
- NEW Family Information Line (703-228-8000) – APS now has a central Family Information Line to assist families with questions concerning transportation, Virtual Learning Program, registration, Extended Day food services, technology, or general questions. This line is open on school days. Transportation will take calls from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. If you call and are sent to voicemail, leave a message and someone will respond to you within 24 hours.
- Engage with APS – firstname.lastname@example.org remains the contact for providing input on current APS initiatives.
- Contact Your School – For specific school-based issues or concerns regarding students, families are encouraged to contact their child’s school directly so the issue can be quickly resolved.
For more information on who to contact, please visit the Contact APS webpage.
On Wed, Oct. 6, all APS schools are taking part in the annual Walk, Bike and Roll to School Day, which teaches students about safe routes to school and the benefits of active transportation. APS has been taking part in this worldwide celebration for nearly two decades, as part of our commitment to sustainability. While this year’s event falls on Wed, Oct. 6, schools may host an event any day in October. Additional details are online.
APS is proud to participate in Blue Star Welcome Week, a nationwide initiative to build a better sense of belonging and community for military families. Blue Star Families empowers military families to thrive by connecting them with their civilian neighbors to create strong communities of mutual support. Join us next week as we celebrate the many military families and students in Arlington and help them feel welcome in our schools. APS will highlight Blue Star Families Welcome Week next week via our social media channels. Feel free to share your own welcome messages by replying to and retweeting APS posts. To support military and veteran families all year long, become a free Blue Star Neighbor member.
Other News & Notes
- Parent Guide for COVID-19 Response
- Help Keep Schools Safe! – Sign Up Now for Free Weekly COVID-19 Testing in School
- Coming Up – Custodial Appreciation Day is Oct. 2! Show Your Thanks for the Custodians in Your School