1. VIDEO: Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Contest Winners Share Stories Behind Entries
Congratulations to the MLK contest winners! The Superintendent and School Board members recognized them at the Jan. 19 School Board meeting. Watch as they share about the inspiration behind their visual arts and literary submissions. Click here for a complete list of their writings and art in a photo gallery.
In the sixth episode of Every Student Counts, we explore Core Knowledge Language Arts (CKLA). This language comprehension program supports students reading, writing, listening and speaking comprehension skills. In this video, find out why it’s an integral part to provide equitable access and outcomes for all students. Thank you to the teachers and students at Campbell Elementary for this look inside their classroom!
3. Nine Seniors Earn Four-Year, Full Ride College Scholarships
Nine APS seniors received four-year, full-ride scholarships from the Posse Foundation and QuestBridge to attend a partnering university. Congratulations to these amazing students. To learn about each scholarship and to see a complete list of the winners, visit the APS website.
4. Nominate Someone Today for the 2023 Honored Citizen Award
Every year, the School Board recognizes volunteers who have made outstanding contributions to Arlington Public Schools. This honor recognizes individuals who have committed significant time and energy to a broad range of volunteer activities throughout the Arlington school community. Details about this award and nomination information, including nomination forms, can be found online.
5. APS All Stars Announced for January
APS proudly recognizes its APS All Stars for January 2023. These employees were nominated by community members, students and peers.
– David Sydney, Williamsburg Middle School
– Melissa Idell, Arlington Science Focus School
– Lauren Worley, Innovation Elementary School
– Shauna Dyer, Kenmore Middle School
– Nibal Hammoudeh, Ashlawn Elementary School
Congratulations to these outstanding staff members! All winners will be treated to lunch this June. Nominate an APS employee today who embodies the school division’s mission, vision and values.
Other News & Notes