Happy Holidays from Arlington Public Schools! Thank you for the opportunity to serve Arlington students and thank you for your partnership and support for Arlington Public Schools. In the spirit of the holiday season, watch this video message about kindness from some of our students and staff. Have a wonderful break and Happy New Year! We look forward to seeing your students back at school on January 3, 2022.
1. Crosswalks: Reading and Math Intervention Groups at Carlin SpringsArlington students needing extra support in reading and math are receiving a variety of individual and small-group lessons to help them achieve their goals. Student intervention and enrichment plans are based on the beginning-of-year assessments to identify learning needs and measure progress. To show an example of the support students are receiving, last week AETV filmed teachers working with students at Carlin Springs Elementary during their “Cardinal Time” last week. This is a team effort to help students gain confidence and build their academic and social-emotional learning skills. Watch the video.
2. Congratulations to Arlington’s 2021-22 Reflections Contest Winners Each year, the Arlington County Council of Parent Teacher Associations (PTAs) highlights the many talents of Arlington students in the annual Reflections contest. Reflections is a nationwide arts contest that encourages students to create works in dance choreography, film production, literature, musical composition, photography, and visual arts, based on a common theme. Visit our website to see the complete list of Arlington’s 2021-22 Reflections winners.
3. School Board Approves 2022-23 School Year Calendar
The School Board approved the calendar for the 2022-23 school year at its Dec. 17 meeting. The 2022-23 school year will start on Mon, Aug. 29. For a complete list of holidays and to see the presentation, visit our website.
4. Nominations are OPEN for Virginia’s Most Outstanding Crossing Guard of 2021
Do you know an amazing crossing guard? If so, nominate them for the Virginia’s Most Outstanding Crossing Guard today! APS is fortunate to have many outstanding crossing guards helping students travel safely to and from school. Details about the nomination process and ways to celebrate Crossing Guard Appreciation Week in February are available online.
5. Fourteen APS Teachers Earn National Board Certification
Congratulations to the 14 teachers who earned their National Board Certification and to the 10 teachers who successfully renewed their certification. National Board Certification is a voluntary assessment program that recognizes, encourages and rewards teachers who strive for excellence. To date, there are more than 220 APS National Board Certified teachers, and APS ranks second in Virginia for the number of National Board Certified teachers.
Other News and Notes
- A Message from Chief Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Officer Dr. Jason Ottley
- Expanded COVID-19 Testing Hours During Winter Break
- Sign Up for Weekly In-School COVID Testing – New Consent Forms for 2022
- School Board Approves 2022-23 School Year Calendar
- January Schedule of Board Meetings, Work Sessions, and Advisory Council and Committee Meetings
- Student Services December Newsletter Arlington County Department of Human Services Holiday Gift Card Program