Arlington Public Schools wishes you a wonderful, relaxing and safe Spring Break! APS schools and offices will be closed for the break, April 11-15, and Mon, April 18 for Grade Prep. We will see you back on Tue, April 19!
This week, APS celebrated National Assistant Principals Week. APS would like to thank and honor each of our assistant principals for their consistent contributions that make a difference in the lives of our students and the overall success of each of our schools. You can view a photo gallery to honor the assistant principals on our website and see a recap of social media posts using #APSAPWeek.
2. APS Teams Take Home Top Prizes at Odyssey of the Mind Tournament
Eight APS teams took home the top prizes at the Virginia Odyssey of the Mind tournament. These outstanding, talented teams worked throughout the school year solving an Odyssey of the Mind problem and were judged as having the most creative solutions. The teams will move on to participate in the Odyssey of the Mind World Finals in May. View the press release on our website for details about the winning teams.
3. Your Voice Matters Survey Deadline Extended
The APS Your Voice Matters survey deadline has been extended to Sun, April 24. APS relies on feedback from students, staff and families to improve services that support safe, supportive school environments for our students and staff. Survey links were sent to families and staff via email by Panorama Education on March 14. If you need assistance with your link or need the link resent to you, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Learn more about the survey on our website.
4. Need Help? The Cigna Support Line is Open for APS Students, Families and Staff
If you or a family member 14+ are dealing with anxiety, depression, abuse, eating disorders, bullying, self-harm, addiction, peer pressure, suicidal thoughts or anything else, the Cigna Support Line is open throughout spring break. You do not have to be a Cigna customer to get support. This is a no-cost, confidential service that puts students and families in touch with mental health professionals who know how to listen, ask the right questions and offer advice. Call 833-MeCigna (833-632-4462) 24 hours a day.
5. Arlington Career Center to Host Wellness Fair April 27
Arlington Career Center students will host a Wellness Fair for the APS and neighboring community on Wed, April 27. Students will demonstrate their CTE (Career & Technical Education) skills and how CTE promotes health and wellness for the community. Stations include healthy activities for children, CPR demos and healthy snack tastings, among several other offerings. Visit the Career Center website to see a full list of event offerings.
Other News & Notes
- Durán completed his Spring visits to all APS schools and programs this week. View the Wakelet covering his school visits.
- CALENDAR CHANGE: The School Board voted to adjust the current APS calendar to recognize Eid on Mon, May 2 instead of Tue, May 3.
- REMINDER: Schools handed out COVID-19 rapid test kits this week and last week. Precautionary at-home testing is encouraged (not required) prior to returning from the break, especially for those who traveled or gathered with others.
- COVID TESTING:The ResourcePath testing site at Kenmore Middle School will be open normal hours all of spring break for anyone needing COVID testing.
- April Student Services Newsletter provides information on teaching Social Awareness
- School Board Member David Priddy to Host Virtual Open Office Hours on Tue, April 19
- April 7 School Board Meeting Summary