1. APS Announces Employees of the Year!
Congratulations to the 2022 Principal, Teacher and Support Employee of the Year award winners! This prestigious honor is awarded annually to employees who demonstrate outstanding leadership and commitment to student success and well-being. They are:
- Principal of the Year – Dr. Jessica Panfil, Claremont Immersion
- Teachers of the Year – Iris Gibson, Langston High School Continuation Program; Katie Willet, Williamsburg Middle School; and Brittany Oman, Arlington Science Focus School
- Support Employees of the Year – Aurelia Sicha, Instructional Assistant, Thomas Jefferson Middle School; Estela Reyes, Food Services, Carlin Springs Elementary School; Mariflor Ventura, Bus Attendant, Trades Center; Dr. Keith Reeves, Instructional Technology Coordinator, Discovery Elementary; Jonathan Martinez, Administrative Assistant, Special Education, Syphax Education Center; Rosaura Palacios, Custodian, Trades Center; and Irma Sierra, Extended Day, Arlington Science Focus
April is the Month of the Military Child, a time to reaffirm our commitment to supporting APS students and families who are connected to the nation’s military. There are currently over 1,500 military-connected students in APS, and they are an important part of the school community. Our schools are committed to welcoming and supporting our military families to ensure student success. Wed, April 20 is PurpleUp for Military Kids Day, and APS encourages everyone to wear purple in support of military kids and post photos using the hashtag #purpleup4militarykids. View a video message from the Superintendent and check out our new Military Families web page.
Congratulations to the 2022 Future Business Leaders of America (FBLA) middle school level state competition winners, eighth-grade student Sophia Stidman and seventh-grade student Alexis Tapia Rodriguez! Sophia came in first place for the Commonwealth of Virginia in the “Middle School Exploring Computer Science” competition. Alexis came in second place in the Commonwealth for the “Digital Citizenship” competition. Both students will move on to participate in the National Leadership Conference held in Chicago in June. The FBLA program inspires and prepares students to become future business leaders.
Students and their families at Innovation Elementary School participated in a STEM and Math Night this week. The gym was filled with six math stations, with activities for students to do alongside their family members. APS middle and high school students facilitated stations. Afterward, volunteers and participants received a complimentary pizza dinner. The National PTA and Mathnasium have awarded Innovation PTA with a $1,000 grant to engage families in math education. The Innovation PTA is one of only 35 PTAs nationwide selected to receive a grant.
April is National School Library Month, and April 4-10 is National Library Week. The National Library Week theme for 2022 is “Connect with Your Library,” as librarians help connect students and learning in so many ways. One of the most important jobs of a school librarian is to connect students with books that will turn them into readers and lifelong learners. Families are encouraged to support their students’ literacy skills by taking them to the local library to explore books and the resources libraries offer, as well as encouraging students to visit their school libraries. Thank you to APS School Librarians for everything they do.
Other News & Notes
- Calendar Change for Eid Religious Holiday: On April 7, the School Board will vote to adjust the current APS calendar to recognize Eid on Mon, May 2 instead of Tue, May 3.
- April is Arab-American Heritage Month and National Volunteer Month—APS celebrates all our Arab-American community and appreciates the volunteers who help our students succeed!
- VIDEO: Mary Lockwood Plaque Dedication at ASFS
- REMINDER: The final pre-k Application Assistance Evening will be held on Thu, April 7, from 5-8 PM at the Syphax Education Center. The pre-k application window closes on Fri, April 15.
- VIRTUAL WORKSHOPS: APS Celebrates Week of the Young Child
- School Board Member Reid Goldstein to Host Open Office Hours Mon, April 4
- Northern Virginia Magazine’s Teacher of The Year Survey
- COMING SOON: Spring Break Week is April 11-15. There is no school for students on Mon, April 18 (Grade Prep Day)
- NEXT WEEK: APS Celebrates Assistant Principals Week