A number of students were selected to state-wide honors music groups.
All Virginia Jazz Ensemble
Three APS high school students were accepted into the All-Virginia Jazz Ensemble. A performance will be given at the Virginia Music Educators Association Conference in Hot Springs, Virginia on Saturday, November 19th with two nationally acclaimed guest conductors. This prestigious ensemble is available to approximately 40 students around the state who are accepted into one of the two ensembles.
- Alex DeLazzari, tenor saxophone – Washington-Lee High School
- Emmett Kyle, drum set and Zach Niess, trombone – Yorktown High School
APS Seniors Named to Virginia Honor Choir
Six APS high school seniors were selected as members or alternates into the 2016 Virginia Music Educators Association (VMEA) Senior Honor Choir. The audition took place at Longwood College October 8, 2016. Students will perform at the Virginia Music Educators Association’s convention in Hot Springs, VA on Nov. 19.
The choir is open only to the top 125 singers from around Virginia, and is the highest honor a choir student can attain during his or her high school career. Auditions were open to seniors enrolled in choral programs at their respective schools.
- Preston Atkins (alternate) – H-B Woodlawn Secondary Program
- Zeke Albro (alternate) – Washington-Lee High School
- Kiernan Bartlett – HB Woodlawn Secondary Program
- Charlotte Maskelony- Washington-Lee High School
- Shaelyn Niblack (alternate) – H-B Woodlawn Secondary Program
- Christine Wanda- H-B Woodlawn Secondary Program
Northern Virginia All-Regional Orchestra
Three APS high school students were accepted into the Northern Virginia All-Regional Orchestra that performed on Nov. 12, 2016 at West Potomac High School in Fairfax. The orchestra is one of four regional orchestras in the state where approximately 110 strings wind and percussion players are accepted via a rigorous audition that takes place in September. The top players of each instrumental section are then eligible to audition for the All Virginia Band and Orchestra later in the school year.
- Alex DeLazzari, clarinet; Noah Hall, bassoon; and Sabrina Shuster, violin – Washington-Lee High School