Each year, the School Board recognizes a select group of individuals who have made outstanding contributions on a voluntary basis to our schools. This honor recognizes individuals who have committed significant time and energy to a broad range of volunteer activities throughout the Arlington school community. They embrace the mission of APS to ensure all students learn and thrive in safe, healthy, and supportive learning environments. They exemplify the core values of the APS Strategic Plan.
We invite you to nominate outstanding community members for the 2023 Honored Citizens Award. Individuals must meet the criteria below and be committed volunteers who have gone above and beyond in supporting our students and schools.
To be considered, nominees must meet the following criteria:
- Demonstrate a sustained commitment of at least 5 years to Arlington Public Schools
- Demonstrate unique and exceptional contributions to APS through their work
- Demonstrate significant time and energy spent on a broad range of volunteer activities throughout the Arlington school community
- Strong participation in school activities
- Foster cooperative relationships
- Contribute to the APS Strategic Plan
- Current APS staff, candidates for public office, and previous recipients will not be considered
You can submit an Honored Citizen Nomination using the online form linked below. Nominations are due by close of business on March 13. 2023 Honored Citizen Nomination Form The Board will base their decision for this award solely on the submission of this nomination form. Any other information will not be considered. The Board encourages nominators to Include a wide variety of supporting documentation to help the School Board better understand the outstanding contributions of the nominee.
- A person cannot nominate himself/herself
- A person may nominate more than one candidate
- A person may only submit one application per candidate
- Include a robust narrative describing the nominee’s volunteer activities at APS
- Provide supporting statements and letters of support
- Please fill out the nomination form completely
- The School Board will notify recipients of the 2023 Honored Citizens Award directly and will notify nominators if their candidate(s) was selected
A list of previous Honoree Citizen recipients can also be found here. We thank you in advance for bringing to our attention those committed volunteers who should be considered for this award. We will celebrate this year’s honorees at our Honored Citizens Recognition on April 19 (additional details will be provided later.)
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact the School Board at email@example.com or call the School Board office at 703-228-6015.