FY 2023-32 Capital Improvement Plan (CIP)


Every two years, the School Board adopts a Capital Improvement Plan (CIP) that addresses APS capital needs—investments needed to improve or enhance the infrastructure of our schools—over the next ten years. The CIP includes major capital projects, such as new schools and school additions, as well as major maintenance and minor construction projects. In June 2020, due to budgetary pressures caused by the COVID-19 pandemic, the School Board, in conjunction with the County Board, pivoted away from preparing a ten-year Capital Improvement Plan (CIP) and, instead, developed a one-year CIP.

This year, the School Board has returned to a 10-year FY 2023-2032 CIP.  Adopted CIP Report

Superintendent’s Proposed FY 2023-32 CIP 

This year’s CIP prioritizes an annual and consistent investment to improve and upgrade existing APS infrastructure. In addition, it builds a new facility to serve full-time Arlington Career Center students and students from across all APS high schools. The FY 2023-32 CIP totals $388.23 with 55% of the cost funding improvements to existing APS facilities and the remaining 45% funding the Arlington Career Center Project.

FY 2023-2032 CIP Development Timeline

Dates School Board Meetings and APS Activities
May 12, 2022

Note: The School Board has scheduled four CIP work session in May and June.

May 17, 2022


  May 31, 2022

June 7, 2022
June 9, 2022
NEW DATE    June 13, 2022
  • School Board Hearing on School Board’s Proposed 2023-32 CIP
June 21, 2022
  • School Board Work Session on CIP (if needed)
June 23, 2022
November 2022
  • Arlington Residents Vote on the School Bond Referendum


For additional information or questions on the CIP, please email engage@apsva.us.